BHSSC’s governing board is composed of one elected school board member from each of 12 public school districts in western South Dakota. Public board meetings are conducted monthly with minutes published in the Rapid City Journal. The organization operates as an education cooperative under South Dakota Codified Law 13:5:31. Due to its work in many diverse fields Black Hills Special Services Cooperative is reviewed by 15 regulatory councils and secures an independent audit annually as required by law.
Executive Director: Dr. Joe Hauge
Director of Development and Grants Management: Dr. Pam Lange
Business Manager: Georgia Sandgren
Community & Family Services: Lori Laughlin
Developmental Disabilities: Shirley Halverson
Economic Development: Blaise Emerson
Education & Workforce Development: Gloria Pluimer
Human Services: Brooke Lusk
Technology & Innovation in Education: Dr. Julie Mathiesen
Black Hills Special Services Cooperative mission is to build stronger communities by helping individuals and organizations reach their full potential.
Black Hills Special Services Cooperative vision is to provide innovative and comprehensive services in education, training and employment.
- Partnerships – Working with others to achieve common goals.
- Respect – Supporting each other while valuing differences.
- Excellence – Exceeding expectations.
- Visionary – Leadership for the future.
- Adaptive – Responding to change with creative solutions.
- Integrity – Honesty in word, action and deed.
- Learning – Achieving growth and building capacity.